Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Week one of sprained-hip mending is done. Week two begins. Since I haven't been out on a bike, I don't have much to blog about. But when has that stopped me?

Al's been out every day, scouting out new routes and riding the Rickenbacker Causeway. He comes home and entertains me with anecdotes about playing our "catch-and-release" game with roadies. While many roadies have no issues with the game, there are always one or two that have humorous defensive reactions to being chased down by a senior cyclist on a mountain bike.

I'm also loving his reports of some of the really, really good cyclists he's spotted. There is nothing like watching someone ride exceptionally well. It all appears so effortless. Power and grace.

Here off the bike, I have organized the new gear wardrobe. Moving into our miniature Miami Mansion, storing our sports and bike gear was an issue. Swim wear and gym gear don't take up much space. But bike and touring gear do. So we got one large (8 foot high, 3.5 feet wide) cabinet just for all the gear. Even with all that space, I ended up putting the bike work stand in the laundry closet and the bike touring suitcases above the refrigerator. We put cold weather gear in suitcase-size zippered nylon storage cubes on the highest shelf. These are touring clothes that let us venture into northern areas in chilly weather. We don't use them much, but to venture out of Florida in the spring or fall, we need them. (Winter is not a time to leave Florida. I plan never to see snow again.)

Without riding my bike, I do have an inordinate amount of time on my hands. The pinnacle of my efforts to use this time has been teaching the cat to do power skids on our hardwood floor. (One cat, one paper bag, a small supply of cat treats, and you are on your way...) I always wanted to figure out how to train a cat. As they say, you're never too old to learn something stupid.

The new 8 foot high cabinet holds bike gear.

The touring suitcases are above the refrigerator.