Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Quack, Quack, Quack (Learning the Paceline Thing)

 When we decided to do group rides with the Everglades Bicycle Club, learning to do paceline riding was the thing I most wanted out of the rides. Paceline riding is a big thing here. I used to make fun of it, but I like learning new things. It keeps life interesting.

The hardest thing for me about riding in a paceline is trusting the other guys. Trust isn't something I find easy. In this paceline thing, if my wheel touches the wheel of the guy in front of me, I'm roadkill. I have to trust that the guy in front of me will ride sanely and consistently. After a couple of months of group rides, I'm finally able to ride closer than a bike length behind another bike.

We arrived at the EBC ride start a little early. I rode around City Hall to the marina. Looking at the boats is how I calm myself before the rides.

Today Arpad and his trusty companion Juan were leading our EBC group ride. Arpad and Juan are good. They give good riding advice. They demand a lot. Arpad is upbeat and pleasant, but he is on you like a drill instructor if you aren't doing what you should. Our usually motley group wheeled down the roads of Coconut Grove and Pinecrest in a disciplined paceline today. It was, to use an overused word, awesome.

I find that doing the paceline thing puts me into a not unpleasant state of hyper awareness of my surroundings, of the riders around me, and of the tiniest details of my own riding. It's exhilarating and exhausting. Today I was working on maintaining a consistent cadence. Feathering my front brake while soft pedaling to make small adjustments in speed. Keeping a constant distance from the guy in front of me.

The group calls out road hazards. "Hole!" "Water!" "Runner up right!" "Car right!" "Debris!" "Dog!" But today we had a new one. "Peacock!" A stately peacock flitted across the road, very disgruntled by our passing.

At ride's end, we waved goodbye to the group and wheeled north to Brickell and home.