Pages

Monday, October 1, 2018

Running Away From Home on a Bicycle, Camping Issues and Fixes

I enjoyed my September bicycle camping trip to Key Largo, but it brought to light some things that needed fixing. They were all simple, and I've already dealt with them so they won't be a bother on the next trip.

  • Since my tent does not have a floor, I needed to get a little groundsheet for my bivy. Solution: The ubiquitous space blanket. (Cheap, ultra lightweight, and easily replaced as needed.)
  • I wear prescription glasses. Guess what I broke on the trip? Yep, my glasses. Solution: Carry a backup pair of prescription glasses. (I found an old pair and added them to my gear.)
  • Camping has you outside pretty much all day, and I was getting way too much sun. Solution: I bought a long-sleeved hooded fishing t-shirt. (Cute, comfy, and works like a charm.)
  • I absolutely must have coffee right away in the morning. Not cola, not tea...coffeeSolution: A little can of Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso. (It also fits nicely into my front handlebar bag. What a super treat at a snack stop!)

I admit I prefer motels to camping, but the truth is, camping isn't just inexpensive, it's fun. I'm glad to have it as an option.