Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

The only thing to fear is fear itself...and spiders. (Robot Chicken)

Last week Al made a visit to the bike shop. A few hours later he took his road bike out for a short ride. For the first time in more than a dozen years, he clipped in.

It was inevitable that Al would return to using clipless pedals and cycling shoes. As I've said before, I've got wonky feet and ankles. I had to give up my clipless pedals and road shoes and settle for flat pedals. But, knowing Al would want clipless pedals, 6 months or so ago I began using the Goldilocks principal to find a way to brace my feet and ankles in a way that would accommodate clipless pedals. (This consists of buying, trying, and discarding a very large number of supports and wraps.) When that was worked out, all that was left was getting up my nerve to clip in.

I made a very short list of scary things to do. The last thing on the list was getting clipless pedals. Then I started down the list. This week I did the second to the last thing on the list. I painted our bathroom walls black. (Believe it or not, it looks great.)

Monday I go to the bike shop.