Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

If you're old enough to have a job and to have a life, you use Facebook exactly as advertised, you look up old friends. (Jaron Lanier)

The Facebook kerfuffle sent me scrambling to keep in touch with old friends, friends who abandoned Facebook in protest. It turns out, finding easy ways to stay in touch (without Facebook) is difficult. Facebook is simple. For Facebook-adverse friends, I now use email, Whatsapp, Signal, and (gasp) snail mail to chat, gossip, and share a laugh or two. Impossible? No. Inconvenient? Kinda.

When I stopped posting Florida by Bicycle to Facebook, I started getting messages from friends and family checking to see if everything was OK with Al and me. Now I understand that they kept up with what we were doing in retirement by reading Florida by Bicycle. It was convenient and easy. Just watch for a blog post and check it out. Could they still keep up with us? Sure. Had I made it more inconvenient for them? Yep, I had.

So Florida by Bicycle is coming back beginning this month. And, yes, I will share the posts on Facebook.

I want to say here for the record, we may be thousands of miles apart and visit each other only online, but to the many friends and family who messaged to check on us: thanks, it meant a lot.