Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

The secret to a long marriage is to stay gone. (Dolly Parton)

Al and I have been together for over a half a century. Despite that, the covid-19 stay-home situation has been a bit of a challenge. Everybody needs more space than current conditions allow if they hope to emerge with sanity intact.

There is a lot to be said for a regular bicycle ride. Exercise is a stress reliever. But a bike ride that takes you out of a tiny living space and into the fresh air and sunshine for a few hours, that is a precious stress reliever.

Physical distancing is something that the people in my neighborhood are fairly conscientious about. Actually, it can be a bit spooky. We tend to avoid eye contact. We walk at the edges of the sidewalks and paths. Even when walking dogs, people take great pains to follow physical distancing rules. Runners keep their distance as they pass you, avoiding the "cough zone." It is easy to see that these things are being done automatically and unconsciously. Makes you feel like an extra in a science fiction movie.

Since traffic has virtually evaporated in many areas of the city, I am enjoying my solo bicycle rides. My favorite area this week was Wynwood. Wynwood is north of where I live, on the other side of the Miami River and Downtown Miami. Murals cover every paintable surface of the district. I wandered up and down the streets. I took a lot of photographs. Stores, galleries, bars, and clubs were closed. (Some coffee shops/cafes had window service open.) I pedaled around the surrounding neighborhoods. I literally had the place to myself. There's a lot of new construction going on in area, and there were construction guys and trucks about. There were a fair amount of homeless people camped out in quiet corners. Cars were minimal away from major streets.

Pedaling home I wandered around Downtown Miami, crossed the river back to Brickell, and then did some loops locally to finish the miles for my ride. By the time I was home my legs were happy, and I was ready to accept confinement once more.

What a difference a ride makes.

Lots of physical distancing here...


A colorful artwork on a temporary wall around a construction site.

A piece I like near Wynwood Walls.