Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2020

It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage. (Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark)

One of our favorite weekend bike rides is from home north to Hollywood along the barrier islands that make up Miami Beach and a couple other beach communities. Sometimes we stop at the Broadwalk in Hollywood. Sometimes we head to the state park north of Hollywood. It's true we're slowing down. What used to be a "recovery" ride is now a perfectly pleasant weekend pace.
 
This week we decided we wanted to head up to Hollywood for our Saturday ride. The Broadwalk wouldn't be open until next week, but Al and I aren't ready to visit any restaurants or coffee spots anyway. (It's going to be a while.) We just wanted to ride a bit on the frontage along the beach in Hollywood. The whole area is opening up for business again, and traffic is pretty much back to a light normal. It was a beautiful ride.

When we got home, I checked our mileage for the year. Al's mileage is decent, but mine is a bit under 3200 miles. I wasn't expecting a high mileage year, but that still surprised me. No travel, covid19 closings of parks, and bad weather have taken more of a toll than I guessed. It makes me wonder what I've been doing with my time. But the year is only half over. Lots of rides still ahead.

Pedal, pedal, pedal.