Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bananas, Cookies, and Dark Chocolate

The new program of mirroring Al's riding continues. It's getting a little easier. It's getting to be a little less tiring. And it has provided me with an unexpected surprise bonus: I have to eat more.

Our cycling isn't a part of a weight management program. That doesn't make any sense, in our view, since when you bike you have to eat on the ride and after the ride for very specific reasons. You do this to prevent bonking and to recover well. Bonking is very unpleasant and so is not recovering well.

My favorite "bike foods" are bananas, Voortman oatmeal-cranberry-flaxseed cookies, and PayDay candy bars. "Recovery food" is an 8 ounce glass of skim milk and 6-12 Ghirardelli 60% cacao premium baking chips (chocolate!) immediately after the ride. I have a bin where we dump any energy bars or similar products when we get them as a give-away or promotions. Which means we don't have them very often. Tasty things, but they just don't measure up to the pleasures (or the fabulous nutritional profile) of a good banana.

But back to the point of this post. We're riding the same miles for the same amount of time. But when I mirror Al, I need a snack sooner...and that means an extra snack on each ride!

I think I'm liking this kind of riding!