Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2020

What's Old Is New Again

You have to have a routine, particularly during the current lockdown. Bike rides fill mornings. After lunch, I started doing a spring cleaning of sorts.

I started with the big IKEA wardrobe we use to store bike gear. Organizing spare tires, spare tubes, tools, and spare parts. (I found 7 mounts for Garmins!) Getting an assortment of bags and gadgets sorted. Fixing gear that could be fixed. Throwing out the junk and trash. Mending a jersey or two. Throwing away some downright ratty jerseys and sun sleeves.

That went so well I continued with some online bike things. I have GPS routes from trips and events all over Florida, Georgia, and North and South Carolina. And there are the routes from friends in places I want to visit. Not to mention the gamut of rides in and around Miami. My online routes library was a chaotic jumble.

So I began by deleting routes with annoying glitches. Then I moved on to deleting routes I thought were unlikely to be used. Routes were renamed to make them easier to remember and locate. Soon a semblance of order emerged.

Of course we couldn't help but ride some of the Miami routes. Al and I had particularly nice rides to two sections of the city we hadn't ridden around in quite some time. The routes were old but felt new again. There was a warm overlay of memories of riding the routes with friends, of easy conversation and laughter.

This week we rode alone, but, nevertheless, they were there.